Radio Free Texas

Monday, October 12, 2009

Call me crazy. For one thing why wou...

Call me crazy. For one thing why would a sane person be writing this at this hour ?

Maybe I am afraid if I write it during the day the internet police would send the guys in the white suits to haul me off to the loony bin.

If you read this while drinking your morning coffee I hope you don't spit it out all over your expensive computer...oh who am I kidding, surely the people who read this don't own expensive computers.

So how bad were the Cowboys on Sunday when they played the once Dallas Texans in a game billed as "the game that never was" ? ( that alludes to the fact that the Boys never played the Texans, mainly because they were in 2 different leagues but also because the Texans were better than the Cowboys at that time).

The Boys of the Blue Star turned in a stellar performance that included 4 fumbles, a missed FG, some really bad punt receiving, a 41% 3rd down conversion rate, 4 offsides penalties ( 3 on the same drive, no less) on the DEFENSIVE line, the always present false starts on the Offensive line, and forced NO..ZERO...ZIP...NADA turnovers. They even managed to lose the coin toss in overtime to decide who got the ball first but I am getting ahead of myself.

BUT...and this is important, their opponents managed to display an even worse showing of American football and due to the heroics of a guy named Miles, the heroes of my youth won a game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City for the first time EVER !

So to sum it up the Good Guys played what seemed to be uninspired, sloppy, poorly planned mediocre football.
Now here is where ya'll might start thinking my train has left the tracks.

I was kind of impressed.................................. I will wait while you get some towels to clean up the coffee.

I am being serious. Quit laughing. No really I mean it. Okay maybe I am crazy.

But, have you ever had one of those days where nothing goes right, where in spite of your best intentions you keep messing stuff up ? Where the faster you go the further behind you get ? Where you know you are smarter than what you are messing with but it still kicks your butt. I have had some of those days. Well maybe a lot. This aint about me though so lets move on.

The Cowboys seemed to have that kind of day Sunday (and 3 other Sundays this year).  It was painful to watch.
An optimist can always find that silver and blue lining though so heres where I am going with my rambling.

THEY DID NOT QUIT...GIVE UP...THROW IN THE TOWEL or hang their heads and look whipped.  Am I the only one who noticed that ? That is way more important for this team than winning style points. If you watched them last year lose to Philly in the last game you had to be questioning their heart. You had to think that maybe there were some quitters in that bunch.

Not Sunday. Nope, even when the defense got soft and let KC tie the game up the players looked mad about it.
Then the defense found its resolve again and stopped KC in OT...twice. I know KC was bad but only a few minutes before they had scored to tie the game.

Ya see, they did what we all have to do when things aren't going the way you plan, dream or envision. They sucked it up,did what they had to do and this time they got rewarded. A guy named Miles ( who had started the day off not so good his own self) had a career day and a bucket full of determination and scored the winning TD.

Then did ya see those overpaid, uncaring, in it for the money professionals mob him on the ground in the end zone ?
So for a moment maybe I saw some guys who do care, who won't quit and for now I will take that. I don't require pretty.

later Poke

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a MUCH more optimistic view of the game than what I saw. I didn't see the quit in their faces either. But I attributed that to the fact that they kept telling themselves that they are playing the 0 - 4 (now 0 - 5) Chiefs. If they had been playing the Colts, Patriots or even Philly again this year I think we would have seen a different sideline.

I'm usually optimistic. I just predicted a 7 - 9 season this year. And so far, that's about the way they are playing. I definitely don't see a playoff this year with the start the Giants and Eagles are having.

At least the Redskins still SUCK!