Radio Free Texas

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fan or Fanatic ??

I'm a FAN of the Dallas Cowboys...lot of us out there claim that, proudly too.
I'm not a FANATIC....or at least I try not to be.
Whats the difference you ask ? I'm sure a lot of ya'll have heard that "fan"
is just a short way to say "fanatic". I have been told that so I cracked open
the trusty old dictionary to see what Mr. Webster said about the 2 words.

fan: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) (science-fiction fans)

fanatic : marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion ex.(they're fanatic about politics)

Hmmm..okay according to Webster, maybe I'm more of a fanatic than I thought, I do
display exceesive enthusiasm and try hard not to be critical about The Boys.
Which brings me to my point in this well thought out, and professionally crafted
piece of blogalism.
For those of you who missed this weeks game and haven't heard the score yet, but
keep hearing on all the local radio talk shows and reading the message boards and fan
forums how poor the Cowboys defense played, here is a NEWS FLASH !!
THE DALLAS COWBOYS WON THE FOOTBALL GAME SUNDAY NIGHT !!

It was a great game to watch, fun from the first quarter to the last. Lots of points,
great plays, some good hits, enough nail biting flows of momentum to keep me happy.
Some bad things happened, players got hurt, balls were dropped, mistakes were made.
Hey its football, and there were 2 teams out there, each trying to make the other
do things they didn't want to do. And yeah, our Defense did give up a lot of points,
and too many big plays. BUT, the COWBOYS WON THE GAME.

So before you fall into the woe is me, life sucks, we don't have a chance this year
syndrome just take a deep breath, relax and chalk up a W in the win column.

I don't mind being a fan but after reading what Winston Churchill said about fanaticism I would rather not be called one, "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject".

So bring on the Dolphins, buckle up them chinstraps and maybe this week we win 3 to 0. of course i could be wrong.....later Poke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard? The Cowboys won the game. I hear the defense gave up a lot of points. In all seriousness here, maybe the New York football Giants have a good offense. It isn't like that Manning guy doesn't have a little background at this game or Toomer or Burress or Shockey are bums off the street.