Radio Free Texas

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My Daddy Said..............

My old daddy said there would be days like this. What could have been one of the
best, most exciting, plain old fun days Sunday turned into a disappointing,
aggravating heart breaker of a day.
it started out good, our church declared Sunday "wear your team colors" day.
looked like a pep rally as all the college teams were well represented.
I of course had on the Blue....I don't pick just one college team cause
I like to think they are all just farm teams developing players for the Boys.
Then it was time to head for Texas Stadium, had the cooler packed, the grill
gassed up, flags flying. Got there really early, even had to wait till they
unlocked the gates to the parking lot. Perfect.
And that's when I should have known something was up.....
North Texas is in a drought ( not just a Super Bowl drought either..A real one),
everything is dry. The wind was blowing about 20 mph.
The county issued a burn ban and I don't blame them. No fireworks, no open flames,no
outdoor cooking......WHAT ??? At the gate they were handing out notices,
500$ fine for any open fire sources. What were we going to do with those 30
Zummo sausages now ? How were we going to cook those sliced jalapenos filled with
cream cheese and wrapped with bacon ? We weren't and we didn't. A tailgate party
with no food except some cookies and M & M's loses a lot of its magic.
That was Sign # 1.
Of course listening to Atlanta lay down against the Panthers was a killer.
I thought Vick and company would want to prove something. Wrong. Sign # 2.
Oh well , it was still a good day. We were at the stadium, good things were
going to happen, I even had coupons for free hot dog and cokes.
Philly came out smoking against the Skins. Occasional cheers in the parking lot
kept my hopes up whenever the Eagles scored or did something good in their game.
Yep I thought, this was going to be the game of the year and I was there with my
wife, son , brother and the Boys were gonna whip the Rams and get into the playoffs.
So then we go in the stadium early, finish watching the Eagles on the big Jumbotron
screens, scream with all the other crazies when the redskins lost. Wrong..again.
The eagles let the skins get back in the game and then lost it all. Sign # 3.
Still I kept my thoughts on the high road, no dejection for me. The Boys would
come out and PLAY. No quitters here. Pride. It would be fun just watching as
our Team played just to show they were pros. Put on a good show.
It didn't happen that way though. Un-inspired, sloppy, mistake ridden ..pick your cliche. The Boys just couldn't get it done. I screamed, I hollered. It didn't
help. And when the score was tied and our crowd started doing the Wave..while
we were on Offense ...it hit me. Like a ton of bricks it hit me.Sign # 4
and this time I payed attention, I realized this was gonna be one of those days.
like a Monday at work where a 5 minute job takes half a day, like when you go
to cut your grass and end up spending the whole afternoon just trying to get the
stupid mower to start, like when all your doing is tightening up the hose
on the faucet and you bust the pipe and water gushes everywhere until you find the
shut off valve under a foot of dirt...yep one of THOSE days. you know the kind
your old daddy warned you about. later Poke

No comments: