Radio Free Texas

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

priorities

okay i loved the game sunday. it got my heart rate going enough i skipped
my usual 10 mile jog monday morning. yeah right like i ever jogged 10 miles
in my life. anyway i loved watching the Boys come back and win one after
falling behind away from home. takes a little of the sting away from last mondays
disaapointing loss.and as far as routine goes...this week about the only thing
i did that i usually do was to remember to go put on a cowboys jersey right
before the game started.
see...i was a little distracted. i had a house full of people. not just any people
but family . now my family knows me well enough to not bug me too much during
a cowboys game, they dont usually call, we live 5 hours apart so they cant just stop
by. but this week was a lot different.
a thing called Rita had decided to hit land really close to all their houses.
they all live in beaumont or just north of there. wednesday and thursday they had
wisely (as my old dad used to say ) " hooked up their hiney wagons " and blasted
off to my house. everybody made it without the well known "14 to 24 hour drive "
that usually only takes 5 or 5 1/2.
so instead of watching with only my wife and a few (very few) friends i had a
72 yr. old, a 5 yr. old, a couple of 20-somethings, (one of which is pregnant),
my older brother,( who often comments on this page ) and 3 dogs (one being a
beautiful 8 week old puppy ). man talk about a change in routine !!!!
and after last weeks blog about how it didnt really help i guess this just reinforced
that lesson.
and even as the Boys looked terrible, and the score got worse, and the 49'ers
looked totally unstoppable....i was gonna be okay with it. i really was, the people
i love and who loved me were all okay. they were safe, comfortable ( as much as that
diverse and large a group can be under one roof anyway ) and definitely alive.
when the Cowboys won this week it was just a bonus. we had already had our blessing.
later Poke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been homeless and in all reality I'm not now, I just don't have a place to go to right now. I still haven't seen my city much less my house. My Lil' Bro' has been kind enough and gracious enough to allow the lot of us to use his home as ours. We are a blessed family and for that I am grateful. There are a lot of people, not he ones in New Orleans, some in close proximity to my home in Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana that are in much worse shape than me. For me this is a character building experience. One of my favorite cliches is "this too shall pass", I suppose now is a good time to use it. I'm okay enough to still hang on every pitch of an Astros game, I know if they won or lost. I'm watching the Phillies very close. The Yankess and the Red Sox are going down to the wire it seems. The Cowboys aren't going undefeated this year but maybe they will only have one loss. Priorities are priorities and sports are sports, I know my future doesn't ride on the Astros or the Cowboys but it is a wonderful diversion right now. Thanks Little Brother! Luv Ya!