Radio Free Texas

Monday, October 18, 2010

Sorry It Comes To This Wade

The reasons the Cowboys are losing was posted in last weeks blog.

They haven’t changed since then.  The question is, what the heck needs to be done to fix the problems.

The #1 response seems to be fire Wade Phillips.  I have been opposed to that idea because I like Wade.  I like that he was a Texas High School football player and coach.  I like that he comes from a football family.  His dad, Bum, was always one of my favorite coaches.  I like that he doesn’t bad mouth his players to the stupid media after a game when they are looking to cause problems.  I know that Wade could forget half of what he knows about football and still know twice as much about it as all the idiots calling for him to be fired.  I think I have just become one of those idiots.

Actually the #1 response is to fire Jerry Jones but we all know that can’t happen so I won’t bother going there.

So what else can you do ?  Fire some assistant coaches ?  The aforementioned owner hired most of them so that’s probably not gonna happen.

Fire Jason Garrett ?  The hand picked future leader definitely deserves some of the blame but Jerry didn’t put him where he is and pay him the big bucks to run him off before he ever gets a chance to be the lead dog.

Fire 53 players ?  Right now this has my vote but I know it can’t happen.  A few of the players are actually performing well as individuals but this is a team game.  The QB that has been throwing costly interceptions may one day again be throwing game winning touchdowns.  The high priced WR you traded for is just now starting to play like we all hoped he would.  You could get rid of some to send a message but would that help or hurt at this point in the season.

The reality of the situation says nobody is getting fired, yet. 

But look out come January 2, shortly after 4:00 pm.  Heads will roll, I just don’t know which ones.  later Poke

ps.  I have to admit I didn’t watch the game live.  I had a chance to go golfing with old friends and to be honest it looks like I made the right choice.  I am pretty sure the memories of our poorly played golf game will stick with me longer than that poorly played football game.

pss.  Oh yeah, the team could have a come to Jesus meeting, practice really hard, work on NOT making penalties and turnovers and mistakes, learn how to cover kickoff returns, quit celebrating anything until the game is over and win the next 11 games and I could sneak back in here and delete this post.

psss.  You know back when I played, leather helmets and all, when we lost a game we hated it because we knew practice was going to be extra hard, extra sprints were going to be ran, you weren’t allowed to talk on the old stinky school bus on the way back home and none of the pretty girls would let you kiss them.  Maybe Wade could try some of those highly motivational, well thought out psychological techniques.

No comments: